CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS

Friday, March 6, 2009

"Real Jobs"

Alex and I quickly realized that temp jobs for the next four months weren't going to cut it, although Alex did do the weird EEG shower cap survey thing a few more times, so we had to find some more consistent work. While I was handing out cards at MacWorld I met a few people asking for money to "Save The Children." I said we couldn't afford to donate money right now but what about our time? I was then told they actually have paying volunteer jobs and they're interviewing that night. Alex and I both went, were both hired to "canvass" the Bay Area streets asking for pledges to Save the Children. I had also at the same time made a post for a nanny job. 

    Luckily I was hired by two great families that would make up full time work. Because the trip was so up in the air still at this point I didn't mention the trip because there was such a good possibility that it might not happen. Within two days of getting hired it looked
 like the trip was that much more likely so I told the families. I felt terribly guilty to be leaving after just getting hired, but it was so much better than getting hired and not saying anything until we knew for sure which might have been a month before we left. Anyway, honesty is the best policy!! I was so lucky to work with two really great families that had two girls each that I really adored.         
     Alex might not have been so lucky...although he was
 hired to a great cause and was working, which was his top priority, it had its drawbacks. Here is Alex being "given the sun" by a woman he met on the street. She couldn't give money, so she gave the sun.  She did this by grasping his hand and staring directly into for roughly two minutes while squeezing and releasing her grasp. When she was done she simply shook his hand out and walked away.

                                         

0 comments: